Friday, September 12, 2008

Tip: Changing the Icons on the Bookmarks Bar

I figured out a way to change the icons on the Bookmarks bar after I
got tired of the default icon showing for all of my bookmarklets.
You'll need the SQLite Database Browser (free).

First, you'll need to download and install the free SQLite Database browser.

Now, open Google Chrome and visit the site(s) that have the favicon you want displayed in your Bookmarks bar. After you have completed this, close Google Chrome.

We are ready to change icons:

1. Open SQLite Database browser.

2. Go to the toolbar and select the Open (folder) icon to bring up the Open window.



3. When the open window appears, you will need to browse to the following directory:

In Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default


In Windows Vista:

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default


Note: change username to your username.

4. Open the History file.

5. Select the Browse Data tab.

6. Select urls from the Table dropdown.

7. The table will appear with the following columns: id, url, title, visit_count, typed_count, last_visit_time, hidden, favicon_id and starred_id. Our main focus will be on the favicon_id and starred_id columns, but you will need to pay attention to the title column as well. Any row that has a value other than 0 in the starred_id column is a bookmark. Any row that has a value other than 0 in the favicon_id column has an icon associated with it (if it has a 0, it will use the default icon).

8. Locate one of the sites you browsed to earlier that contains the desired favicon that you wish to use. Make sure it has a value in the favicon_id column. When you have located it, make note of the value that is in the favicon_id column.

9. Now locate the bookmark that you want to assign the favicon to. The title may appear more than once, so you must make sure that you select the record that has a value in the starred_id column.

10. Double-click the favicon_id record (the one that is 0) to open the Edit database cell window.

11. Change the 0 to the value you got from Step 8.

12. Click the Apply Changes button.

13. Repeat this process until you have finished assigning icons to your bookmarks.

14. Go to the toolbar and click the Save icon.


Now open up Google Chrome and check out your Bookmarks bar.


5 comments:

mal7798 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mal7798 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mal7798 said...

I am getting closer, but not quite there yet. It is important to mention that Google Chrome needs to be CLOSED when performing this operation. Also, that \\ in the directory address needs to have the user ID--I had trouble there. I did succeed in getting to the appropriate "History" file and opening it. But I cannot seem to open thhat "bookmarks" file, nor do I see any "starred_id" column with any of the files I open.

If I am supposed to select the bookmark from the "bookmarks" file, that is impossible because that file will not open. If I am supposed to select the bookmark from the "history" file, that is impossible because there is no "starred_id" column (although all other columns seem there). Please help me with what I am doing wrong. Thank you.

mal7798 said...

Hello... anyone here? Is there anywhere I can go to get help with using this program? Well, in addition to this "no starred_id" error, I am getting a new one; when I try to add a record to the url table, I am getting the message "Error adding record, make sure a table is selected". Now, I thought I had that table selected. If not, how do I select a table? Please either help me with this or direct me to somewhere I can get help? Do I need to supply more contact information?

Frizzlecat said...

Lol. You "figured" this all out 2 days after www.tech-recipes.com did? You just copied and pasted their procedure. It's identical, except you don't have the images they used. Nice.